To solidify computation of volume and surface area of rectangular prisms and cylinders using a technology tool, and comparing volumes and surface areas between objects.
Students will be able to…
• setup an Excel spreadsheet for the calculation of volume and surface area of any two rectangular prisms and any two cylinders,
• check their setup to assure accuracy of their model,
• compare volume between rectangular prisms of different dimensions,
• compare surface area between rectangular prisms of similar volume,
• generalize minimizing surface area of a rectangular prism,
• compare volume between cylinders of different dimensions,
• compare surface area between cylinders of similar volume,
• compare volume between rectangular prisms and cylinders of similar dimensions
Mellen, Bruce, "Unit on Volume and Surface Area" (2003). Lesson Plans. 273.