Dissenting Voices Cover Art
Design by Mel Brown, WMS ’18
Calligraphy by Sara Connor, SOC, WMS ‘16
The cover portrait is a photographic composite of one identity characteristic of each person in the WMS 421 Senior Seminar course. The abstract painting of vivid colors that frames the portrait represents the brilliant minds that have intertwined to create this volume. The use of different colors represents our diverse backgrounds, that when put together, become radiant. The handprint placed on the chest represents our extension to others and prompts readers to join us in the fight for social justice. The knuckles with the word “feminist” written in calligraphy are positioned on the back journal cover to leave readers with something other than a blank ending. This photographic composite is meant to create a new face of dissent.
Table of Contents
- Our Voices. Mel Brown, Julia DeGroff, Rachael Fort, Audrey Lai, Becky Luxon, Annette Maldonado, Maggie Rosen, Tambria Schroeder, Alise Tallents, Amber Wilk, Kelsey Wright. p. i
- Note from the Editor (Barbara LeSavoy), p. iii
- Make America Curious Again: Integrating Feminism into Undergraduate International Relations Studies. Tambria Schroeder. pp. 1-32,
- A Feminist Perspective on the History of Women as Witches. Maggie Rosen. pp. 21-32.
- A Face of Poverty. Mel Brown. pp. 33-48.
- The Complexities of Being a Pro-Choice Catholic: How Religion and Politics Collide. Alise J. Tallents. pp. 49-60.
- Coming Out in Asian American Culture. Audrey Lai. pp. 61-82.
- Deconstructing the Nuclear Family Through Adoption. Julia DeGroff. pp. 83-98.
- Oppression or Opportunity: The Selling of Mail-Order Brides. Amber M. Wilk. pp. 99-114.
- I am Not Barbie and I Don’t Need a Ken. Annette Maldonado. pp. 115-124.
- Sexual Objectification of Female Bodies in Beauty Pageants, Pornography, and Media. Kelsey Wright. pp. 125-146.
- Double Standards in Everyday Life: Book Reviews on Jessica Valenti's “Sex Object: A Memoir” (2016) and “He’s a Stud, She’s a Slut and 49 Other Double Standards Every Woman Should Know” (2008). Becky Luxon. pp. 147-154.
- WMS 421 Spring 2016 Activism Photo Essay. Julia DeGroff. pp. 155-157.
Women and Gender Studies Senior Seminar at The College at Brockport
"Dissenting Voices Volume 6 Issue 1 (Spring 2017) Complete Issue,"
Dissenting Voices: Vol. 6
, Article 1.
Available at: http://digitalcommons.brockport.edu/dissentingvoices/vol6/iss1/1