This is a section of an 1872 plat map atlas showing the neighborhood around the college as it then was. Notice that there is just the one building, standing on the original six acre lot on Utica Street, where today's Hartwell Hall is. Look around the campus and notice all the houses, both inside what we think of as the lawn of Hartwell, and the neighborhoods behind the campus. Beyond those house were fields and orchards. In the post WWII expansion years. especially in the 1950s and 1960s all this changed of course.
Brockport Normal School, maps