Schools and Society : A Sociological Approach to Education
Edited by Joan Z. Spade, Jeanne H. Ballantine.
Schools and Society: A Sociological Approach to Education, Third Edition, now published by Pine Forge Press, features original readings and article excerpts by leaders in the area of Sociology of Education. With a wide array of theoretical perspectives, a broad range of respected sources, and inclusion of both classic and contemporary studies, this comprehensive, integrated text addresses key issues in the field with a balanced presentation. Edited by Jeanne H. Ballantine and Joan Z. Spade, both of whom actively teach Sociology of Education courses, this text continues to offer theory, methods, and classical and current issues organized around the theme of the open systems approach to make both the pedagogy and presentation of material coherent for students. Thus, the book is not just a collection of articles but a presentation of a holistic view of educational systems. New to the Third Edition
• 32 new readings, 2 readings revised for this edition, and 19 articles previously included, all by early and contemporary noted scholars
• Expanded text introductions to each chapter provide a holistic view of the field
• Part introductions outline key issues in a given area of the field and explain the contributions made by the selections that follow
• Introductory questions to consider when reading each article encourage students to engage in critical thinking
• Conclusions to each part feature suggested projects for continued exploration of the topic
Instructor Resources on CD are available to qualified instructors by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. These include class exercises, suggestions for videos, and other teaching tips. Intended Audience Used either alone or as a supplement, this integrated overview of Sociology of Education is geared toward upper-level undergraduate courses in Sociology of Education, Foundations of Education, Social Contexts of Education or related courses in departments of sociology and education.
Los Angeles : Pine Forge Press, c2008.
xvii, 554 p. : illustrations ; 24 cm.
Educational Administration and Supervision
Spade, Joan Z. and Ballantine, Jeanne H., "Schools and Society : A Sociological Approach to Education" (2008). Brockport Bookshelf. 82.