This project addresses the following NYS Standards:
- STANDARD 1—Analysis, Inquiry, and Design: Students will use mathematical analysis, scientific inquiry, and engineering design, as appropriate, to pose questions, seek answers, and develop solutions.
- STANDARD 2 : Students will access, generate, process, and transfer information, using appropriate technologies.
- STANDARD 6—Interconnectedness: Common Themes : Students will understand the relationships and common themes that connect mathematics, science, and technology and apply the themes to these and other areas of learning.
- STANDARD 7—Interdisciplinary Problem Solving : Students will apply the knowledge and thinking skills of mathematics, science, and technology to address real-life problems and make informed decisions.
- STANDARD 4 – The Physical Setting: Students will understand and apply scientific concepts, principles, and theories pertaining to the physical setting and living environment and recognize the historical development of ideas in science.
and these Next Generation Science Standards:
- ESS2.B: Plate Tectonics and Large-Scale System Interactions
- PS4.A: Wave Properties
- PS3.B: Conservation of Energy and Energy Transfer
The primary file is a lesson plan, accompanied by supplemental files.
In the supplemental zipped files, you will find:
- Teachers’ presentation on Seismogram program
- US Earthquake map
- Student forms
Arnold, Laura and Napieralski, Amanda, "The Stupendous Seismogram Study" (2012). Lesson Plans. 321.