Dissenting Voices Cover Art
Background Cover Design by Kalynda Culek ‘19
Cover People drawn by Jenna Bygall ‘19
The journal cover portrays an artistic rendition of each author holding a sign that communicates their feminist activism. Their words rise up from their signs to frame the sun. Pause and watch closely for their cues. And listen carefully to their voices. If walking near or around this progressively-minded group, you might hear the adage, “When Pigs Fly,” the “when” in reference to what is seemingly impossible. For the authors here, that impossibility is no longer impossible. Because pigs are flying, offering us hope in the face of despair and belief that we can amend even the most broken systems of inequality (Note from the Editor).
Table of Contents
- Our Voices. Mackenzie April, Jenna Bygall, Jasmine Kamal-Mohamed, Christina Karapinar, Allie Knapp, Kelsie Kupiec, Angelica Whitehorne, Kayla Sorenson, p. i.
- Note from the Editor (Barbara LeSavoy), p. iii.
- The Abortion Fight: Neither Worn nor Won. Angelica Whitehorne, p. 1.
- Treatment of Female Politicians and Impact on Voter Perception in the U.S. Jenna Bygall, p. 13.
- Why are there No Great, Female, and Egyptian Scholars? Jasmine Mohamed, p. 27.
- The Pretty Pink Box. Allie Knapp, p. 39.
- Readying the Rape Rack: Feminism and the Exploitation of Non-Human Reproductive Systems. Mackenzie April, p. 51.
- Growing up a Witness. Kayla Sorenson, p. 65.
- Missing from Research: Exposing the Deficit in Research and Knowledge of Endometriosis and Women’s Health. Kelsie Kupiec, p. 79.
- The Comfort Women’s Activism through the Arts. Christina Karapinar, p. 93.
- WMS 421 Spring 2019 Activism Photo Essay, p. 111.
Women and Gender Studies Senior Seminar at The College at Brockport
"Dissenting Voices Volume 8 Issue 1 (Spring 2019) Complete Issue,"
Dissenting Voices: Vol. 8
, Article 1.
Available at: https://digitalcommons.brockport.edu/dissentingvoices/vol8/iss1/1