Eric Steel was a well known figure on campus for many years, teaching here from 1942-1974. He was a professor of English and French and served as chair of the Department of Foreign Languages in the expansion of the curriculum of the 1960s.
He was a keen debater, a respected teacher, and led many students on European tours in the early days of international education here. Steel was also interested the theater, and served as the director in some plays at Brockport in the 1940s and '50s. A native of Scotland, Dr. Steel had run a school in France in the 1930s but left at the beginning of WWII. He is pictured here, right, outside Hartwell Hall with some students in the 1950s.
Per the fair use of the copyright law these images may be used for personal or educational purposes. For other uses contact the college archivist.